Skip to main content

Week 15 More Reading: Japanese Mythology, Part B "The Labors of Yamato - The Dragon"


Image result for susa-no-wo and the serpent

  • "The Labors of Yamato - The Dragon"
    • reminiscent of the labors of Hercules from Greek myth
      • Hydra
    • chose this unit because I have a novel idea in the works rooted in East Asian mythology
    • begins with Yamato descending Mt. Fujiyama with the Sacred Sword
    • realizes that Benten the sorcerous did not love him and was using him to retrieve the sacred sword 
    • before he could return home to Tacibana the one who loved him he had to confront Benten 
      • he goes to their meeting place and sees Benten's golden scales beneath the jade-green water
      • he dives after the siren (Benten) and is swallowed by a giant wave
      • he sinks like a stone
      • he sinks and feels himself being "enveloped in the folds of a loathly serpent"
      • Benten sings her siren song that says she will hold him forever
      • he can only be saved by a beautiful goddess that loves him more than Benten
        • Tacibana
      • in the depths, he begins to hear Tacibana whose hair grows long and envelops him and carries him up to land
    • The Isle of Enoshima
      • Yamato passes out from exhaustion
      • when he wakes up Tacibana is gone 
      • thinks she has gone for help but waits for hours and she doesn't come back
      • goes to the city of Kashiwa-bara
        • the city is in a panic
      • Yamato is told that a dragon has descended on the land and is destroying crops and cattle 
      • the dragon was last seen entering the royal palace
      • Yamato races to the palace looking for Tacibana but finds nothing but dead bodies
      • hears chanting and finds Tacibana dressed in white chanting the norito 
      • Susa-No-Wo the sea dragon appears 
    • a long battle ensues
    • Tacibana sinks into the depths
    • yamato rescues her 
  • Storytelling ideas: Since this is the end of the semester I won't have another story to write but I will hold onto this knowledge for future projects.
  • Bibliography: Romance of Old Japan Part I: Mythology and Legend by E.W. Champney and F. Champney (1917)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Best-Selling Author

Hello, everyone, I am Erika and I am terrible at blogging! Just kidding, I am slowly getting the hang of it. I am an English Writing major who has been at OU forever (I am ancient compared to some of you). I only have 3 semesters left after this one (Fall '17)! I am getting a minor in anthropology, the combination of the two makes this class the perfect fit. The best class that I took last semester was called Day of the Living Dead and it was a class that studied zombies as they appear in literature, being an English major is awesome! My biggest accomplishment last semester was making through Logic with my sanity - it was a philosophy class that counted as a math credit - honestly, I would've been better off with "real" math, let's just say that studying logic is not for me. Most of my summer was spent toiling away at Lowe's but my friends and I took our annual float trip (to float the Illinois River) at the end of July, it was a great way to end the summer. T

Comment Wall

(Ancient Architecture Stock Photo provided by Pexels )

Week 4 Story: The Rabbi's Automaton

(Clockwork Girl & Boy by Milo ) “They call me a magician,” he grumbled to himself as he stared down into the Jewish ghetto below. Beyond the ghetto stood the towering heights of the city-proper. He sat in his leather chair in his dimly lit study twirling the end of his bushy mustache around the tip of his finger.  The Sabbath was approaching and he had no one to assist him. The people feared him - so much that none would work for him.   They were afraid not because he was an evil man but because he was a learned man, a man of science. Drawings of fantastical flying machines on yellowed parchment littered his desk. The people feared Rabbi Lion and his experiments. His genius was not yet understood. Bright flashes of light sometimes shone from his windows. The lay people attributed these flashes of light to demons so none were willing to enter his service.   “Pfft, if I were able to wield magic why would I not just command someone to serve me,” he thought. “I shall make