Skip to main content

Project Brainstorm

  1. Dragon Myths
  2. (Red European Dragon from dragonwisdom.wikia.com)

    (Chinese Dragon by Dongjun Lu)
    • I have loved dragons since I was very young. It probably stems from the fact that I also love fantasy stories and novels. I am a writer that specializes in genre fiction, specifically sci-fi and fantasy writing. I have actually been researching dragon lore on my own before I started this class because I am using different types of dragons in several of my stories and novels-in-progress. My previous knowledge of dragons is mostly from works of fiction and a mythology class I took as a freshman in high school a million years ago. I know a bit about the European and Chinese variations of the dragon but I would like to see where else dragons appear in mythology around the world if they do at all. I would like to learn more about dragon mythologies so that I may portray them accurately or flip the typical dragon story on its ear and make it new and unique. If I choose to focus on dragons as my project I would like to explore how different types of dragon appear in mythologies around the world. 
    • I browsed the book Dragon and Dragon Lore by Ernest Ingersoll and poked around Wikipedia articles for awhile. I liked Ingersoll's book, it is chock full of great information I can use for this class as well as for my personal writing projects.
  3. Legendary Creatures
    • Like dragons, I have been interested in legendary creatures such as basilisks and Griffins since childhood. Also like dragons, I use legendary creatures in my writing - sometimes I draw inspiration from creatures that already exist, sometimes I make my own. Most of my knowledge base regarding legendary creatures comes from pop-culture. Again, as mentioned above I have taken a previous mythology class in high school where one of the areas of focus was legendary creatures. My NeeNee (grandmother) and I really enjoy Bigfoot legends (Bigfoot lives in Antlers, OK if anyone was wondering) and I would like to explore the origins of myths such as Bigfoot. 
    • I have actually come across The Mythological Zoo by Oliver Herford before in previous research for a story I was writing and it is a great resource.
  4. Russian Folklore
  5. (A Leshen from The Witcher III: Wild Hunt found on Rock, Paper, Shotgun)
    • My interest in Russian folklore stems from my love of The Witcher video game series based on a book series by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. Sapowski uses creatures from the folktales of his native Poland as inspiration for the creatures found in his novels and video games. From inquiries I have made on the subject apparently there are not many sources available in English of the Polish folk-tales but they are closely related to the Russian folk-tales. I have no prior knowledge of the subject except what I have read in Sapkowski's novels and other works of fiction - Neil Gaiman uses some eastern European inspired "gods" in his Novel American Gods. I want to learn more about the subject so, as usual, I may use the knowledge to aid in my own writing. 
    • Source: Russian Fairy Tales by W.R.S. Ralston
  6. African Traditions 
  7. (Orlando Jones as Anansi or Mr. Nancy a West African trickster god from Neil Gaiman's American Gods found on americangods.wikia.com)

    1. This is another topic in which I am very interested but know nothing about. The class I took in high school focused mostly on Classical and European mythologies so I have no knowledge base on this subject. I am interested to learn more. I got a small taste of the richness of African traditions through Neil Gaiman's American Gods but I am eager to learn more. 
Source: Jamaican Anansi Stories by Martha Warren Beckwith 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Best-Selling Author

Hello, everyone, I am Erika and I am terrible at blogging! Just kidding, I am slowly getting the hang of it. I am an English Writing major who has been at OU forever (I am ancient compared to some of you). I only have 3 semesters left after this one (Fall '17)! I am getting a minor in anthropology, the combination of the two makes this class the perfect fit. The best class that I took last semester was called Day of the Living Dead and it was a class that studied zombies as they appear in literature, being an English major is awesome! My biggest accomplishment last semester was making through Logic with my sanity - it was a philosophy class that counted as a math credit - honestly, I would've been better off with "real" math, let's just say that studying logic is not for me. Most of my summer was spent toiling away at Lowe's but my friends and I took our annual float trip (to float the Illinois River) at the end of July, it was a great way to end the summer. T

Comment Wall

(Ancient Architecture Stock Photo provided by Pexels )

Week 4 Story: The Rabbi's Automaton

(Clockwork Girl & Boy by Milo ) “They call me a magician,” he grumbled to himself as he stared down into the Jewish ghetto below. Beyond the ghetto stood the towering heights of the city-proper. He sat in his leather chair in his dimly lit study twirling the end of his bushy mustache around the tip of his finger.  The Sabbath was approaching and he had no one to assist him. The people feared him - so much that none would work for him.   They were afraid not because he was an evil man but because he was a learned man, a man of science. Drawings of fantastical flying machines on yellowed parchment littered his desk. The people feared Rabbi Lion and his experiments. His genius was not yet understood. Bright flashes of light sometimes shone from his windows. The lay people attributed these flashes of light to demons so none were willing to enter his service.   “Pfft, if I were able to wield magic why would I not just command someone to serve me,” he thought. “I shall make