Skip to main content

Reading Notes Week 10: Blackfoot Indian Stories, Part A, "The Wolf Man"


  • "The Wolf Man"
    • Blackfoot werewolf story
    • a man with 2 wives
      • wives are "wicked"
      • do not cook, always away from home, unappreciative of the husband when he brings home meat
      • husband decides to move away from the village in hopes that the wives will cook and do their duties if they have no one to socialize with
      • the women are upset that they aren't near the village - decide to kill the man
      • on a butte where the man usually sits atop a buffalo skull surveying the land the women dig a pit and cover it to camouflage the hole and place the buffalo skull over the pit
      • the man goes to the butte to sit on the skull like he does every night
        • falls into pit
        • stuck in pit and thinks he will starve to death
      • women leave and return to the village pretending to mourn
      • wolves discover man in pit
        • wolves, coyotes, foxes and other night predators decide to dig him out
      • once the man is rescued the wolves invite him to be theri brother
        • an old blind wolf heals the man's injuries and turns his hands into wolf paws and his head into that of a wolf - the rest remains human
      • the man lives with the night predators as a brother
        • he helps the wolves and others steal meat from the village by disabling the traps placed around the buffalo pen that are designed to snare and kill the wolves that attempt to eat the buffalo
      • the humans are confused about what has happened to their traps
        • set out bad meat the next night 
        • the wolf-man half howls, half yells about the bad meat revealing to the humans what he is
        • they set out good meat to trap the wolf-man
        • once the wolf-man is trapped they take him to a lodge and recognize that he is the missing man
        • he tells them his story
        • they suggest that he punish his wicked wives
        • he says to give them to "the punishing society" because they know what to do with them
      • story ends with the two wives never being seen again
    • Storytelling ideas: I really liked this story because of the werewolf aspect. I like that many cultures have a variation of the same type of creature. I want to play with the idea of the werewolf in more depth. I am also thinking about gender flipping the story or somehow dispelling the "wicked women who don't do their homely duties must be punished" trope. Its outdated and needs to be redone. I also may combine this story with others from the Blackfoot tradition such as "The Camp of the Ghosts."
    • Bibliography: Blackfeet Indian Stories by George Bird Grinnell (1915)
Image result for blackfoot indian wolfman
(I do not have any information about the tribe from which this image comes and I am no way inferring that he is Blackfoot or that all Native Americans are the same. The image was found on Pinterest on a Native Mythology board)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Best-Selling Author

Hello, everyone, I am Erika and I am terrible at blogging! Just kidding, I am slowly getting the hang of it. I am an English Writing major who has been at OU forever (I am ancient compared to some of you). I only have 3 semesters left after this one (Fall '17)! I am getting a minor in anthropology, the combination of the two makes this class the perfect fit. The best class that I took last semester was called Day of the Living Dead and it was a class that studied zombies as they appear in literature, being an English major is awesome! My biggest accomplishment last semester was making through Logic with my sanity - it was a philosophy class that counted as a math credit - honestly, I would've been better off with "real" math, let's just say that studying logic is not for me. Most of my summer was spent toiling away at Lowe's but my friends and I took our annual float trip (to float the Illinois River) at the end of July, it was a great way to end the summer. T

Comment Wall

(Ancient Architecture Stock Photo provided by Pexels )

Week 4 Story: The Rabbi's Automaton

(Clockwork Girl & Boy by Milo ) “They call me a magician,” he grumbled to himself as he stared down into the Jewish ghetto below. Beyond the ghetto stood the towering heights of the city-proper. He sat in his leather chair in his dimly lit study twirling the end of his bushy mustache around the tip of his finger.  The Sabbath was approaching and he had no one to assist him. The people feared him - so much that none would work for him.   They were afraid not because he was an evil man but because he was a learned man, a man of science. Drawings of fantastical flying machines on yellowed parchment littered his desk. The people feared Rabbi Lion and his experiments. His genius was not yet understood. Bright flashes of light sometimes shone from his windows. The lay people attributed these flashes of light to demons so none were willing to enter his service.   “Pfft, if I were able to wield magic why would I not just command someone to serve me,” he thought. “I shall make