Skip to main content

Reading Notes Week 7: Tibetan Folktale Part A, "The Man and the Ghost"


  • "The Man and the Ghost"
    • A man walks down a steep mountain pass
    • meets a ghost
      • the ghost turns to walk with the man
    • man is frightened  but didn't show the ghost
    • The pair come to a river
      • no boat or bridge to cross
      • they must swim
      • the man makes a lot of noise crossing - splashing etc.
      • the ghost makes no noise at all
    • ghost asks the man why he makes so much noise in the water
      • the man replies: "Oh, I am a ghost and have a right to make all the noise I want to."
    • ghost offers friendship and mutual aid
      • man agrees
    • the ghost asks the man what he is afraid of
      • the man says nothing even though he is quaking inside
      • the man asks the ghost the same question
        • ghost says nothing but the wind blowing through the barley fields
    • the come to a town
      • the ghost says he is going into town
      • the man says he is tired and lays down to sleep in a barley field
      • the ghost wreaks havoc in town and steals the soul of the king's son
      • brings the soul to the man in the barley field and says he has something to do and he will be back for the soul
      • the man goes into town dressed as a lama (Tibetan holy man) and goes begging
      • he hears that the king's son is sick and he knows why
      • goes begging at the palace
      • the king tells the disguised man that he can have half of everything he owns if he will heal his son
      • the man makes an idol of a meal and places it in the sack that holds the boy's soul
        • the soul escapes and returns to the boy
        • the man prays over the sack to "heal" the boy even though he knows that the soul has returned to the boy
        • word reaches the king that his son is recovering 
        • The king kept his word to the man
    • rumored that the ghost never returned for the sack he had left with the man
      • the man wondered if this was how the relationship between man and ghost worked 
  • storytelling notes:
    • This story has a lot of potential. I always like a good ghost story and I like the premise of this one. I like that the ghost is a trickster but he seemingly tricks people for the good of his friend. I want to expand the story a bit and show how the ghost takes the boy's soul. I also want to show what may have happened after the story ended - if the ghost had returned. 
  • Bibliography: Tibetan Folktales by A.L. Shelton, illustrated by Mildren Bryant (1925)
(Tibetan Monk attends the Beating Ghost Festival at the Lama Temple from gettyimages)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Best-Selling Author

Hello, everyone, I am Erika and I am terrible at blogging! Just kidding, I am slowly getting the hang of it. I am an English Writing major who has been at OU forever (I am ancient compared to some of you). I only have 3 semesters left after this one (Fall '17)! I am getting a minor in anthropology, the combination of the two makes this class the perfect fit. The best class that I took last semester was called Day of the Living Dead and it was a class that studied zombies as they appear in literature, being an English major is awesome! My biggest accomplishment last semester was making through Logic with my sanity - it was a philosophy class that counted as a math credit - honestly, I would've been better off with "real" math, let's just say that studying logic is not for me. Most of my summer was spent toiling away at Lowe's but my friends and I took our annual float trip (to float the Illinois River) at the end of July, it was a great way to end the summer. T

Comment Wall

(Ancient Architecture Stock Photo provided by Pexels )

Week 4 Story: The Rabbi's Automaton

(Clockwork Girl & Boy by Milo ) “They call me a magician,” he grumbled to himself as he stared down into the Jewish ghetto below. Beyond the ghetto stood the towering heights of the city-proper. He sat in his leather chair in his dimly lit study twirling the end of his bushy mustache around the tip of his finger.  The Sabbath was approaching and he had no one to assist him. The people feared him - so much that none would work for him.   They were afraid not because he was an evil man but because he was a learned man, a man of science. Drawings of fantastical flying machines on yellowed parchment littered his desk. The people feared Rabbi Lion and his experiments. His genius was not yet understood. Bright flashes of light sometimes shone from his windows. The lay people attributed these flashes of light to demons so none were willing to enter his service.   “Pfft, if I were able to wield magic why would I not just command someone to serve me,” he thought. “I shall make