Skip to main content

Reading Notes Week 9: West African Folktales, Reading B


  • "The Moon and the Stars"
    • WEST AFRICAN DRAGON!
    • Anansi and his son go out hunting
      • Kweku Tsin, Anansi's son quickly kills a fine deer
      • his father goes to fetch a basket to carry the meat home in
      • takes a while, Kewku Tsin calls out to his father thinking he is lost
        • a dragon answers instead of Anansi
        • Kweku Tsin runs and hides in a cave
        • Anansi comes back and asks what happened
      • Anansi wants to see the dragon for himself
        • dragon reappears because it smells human flesh
        • captures Anansi and Kweku Tsin and takes them to his castle
        • other prisoners are there guarded by the dragon's servant and great white rooster
          • the rooster alerts the dragon whenever something happens like prisoners trying to escape
        • Kweku Tsin comes up with a plan to escape
          • makes a ladder and throws it up to heaven assured that the gods will anchor it
          • the prisoners kill and eat many cows and save the bones
          • distract the rooster with food
          • also get a magic fiddle
          • They throw the rope to heaven and the prisoners climb to escape the dragon
          • the dragon follows but every time the creature gets close Kweku Tsin throws bones to the ground to distract him
          • when he runs out of bones he stops and plays a tune on the fiddle forcing the dragon back to the ground to dance because it cannot resist the magic of the fiddle
          • when all the prisoners are safely in the heavens Kweku Tsin reaches down and cuts the ladder making the dragon fall to earth while the gods pull him up into the heavens
          • because of his cleverness, the gods made Kweku Tsin the sun, his father the moon, and his friends the stars
            • none of the others would have lived or have light if it weren't for Kweku Tsin 
  • Storytelling Notes: I really liked this story because it explains the origin of the sun, moon, and stars. I always really like stories that exist in folklore to explain natural occurrences that people didn't have the means to explain yet. I think it makes for great storytelling. I liked this whole unit actually and I think I may end up combing a few stories into a new one. I also liked "The Ungrateful Man" and "Why the Tiger Never Attacks Men Unless They Are Provoked." I liked that all of the stories from the West African unit had the fable-like element of teaching a lesson at the end. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Best-Selling Author

Hello, everyone, I am Erika and I am terrible at blogging! Just kidding, I am slowly getting the hang of it. I am an English Writing major who has been at OU forever (I am ancient compared to some of you). I only have 3 semesters left after this one (Fall '17)! I am getting a minor in anthropology, the combination of the two makes this class the perfect fit. The best class that I took last semester was called Day of the Living Dead and it was a class that studied zombies as they appear in literature, being an English major is awesome! My biggest accomplishment last semester was making through Logic with my sanity - it was a philosophy class that counted as a math credit - honestly, I would've been better off with "real" math, let's just say that studying logic is not for me. Most of my summer was spent toiling away at Lowe's but my friends and I took our annual float trip (to float the Illinois River) at the end of July, it was a great way to end the summer. T

Comment Wall

(Ancient Architecture Stock Photo provided by Pexels )

Week 4 Story: The Rabbi's Automaton

(Clockwork Girl & Boy by Milo ) “They call me a magician,” he grumbled to himself as he stared down into the Jewish ghetto below. Beyond the ghetto stood the towering heights of the city-proper. He sat in his leather chair in his dimly lit study twirling the end of his bushy mustache around the tip of his finger.  The Sabbath was approaching and he had no one to assist him. The people feared him - so much that none would work for him.   They were afraid not because he was an evil man but because he was a learned man, a man of science. Drawings of fantastical flying machines on yellowed parchment littered his desk. The people feared Rabbi Lion and his experiments. His genius was not yet understood. Bright flashes of light sometimes shone from his windows. The lay people attributed these flashes of light to demons so none were willing to enter his service.   “Pfft, if I were able to wield magic why would I not just command someone to serve me,” he thought. “I shall make