Skip to main content

Week 8 Reading and Writing

Overall, I think my reading and writing for this class has been pretty strong. My writing more so than the reading. I have loved the readings themselves but I struggle with taking usable notes. My favorite story so far has been "The Secret Name of Ra." I really liked the original story and the re-telling that I wrote. I also really liked "The Rabbi's Bogey-Man," I liked being to create a steampunk-like story from this Jewish fairytale. I am very happy with how my project is going. At first, I thought I was going to do a portfolio but as soon as I figured out how the storybooks were going to work I knew I wanted to go with that option instead. I like being able to fiddle with the aesthetics of my website to convey the mood and setting of the story. I also like being able to craft my own tale using elements from many different mythologies about Dragons.

To get more out of the readings and writings from this class I need to get better at note-taking. I am fairly good at note-taking but I need to learn not to write an entire synopsis of the story and instead latch onto key points and areas of interest. I also want to keep working at packing all the detail and imagery I am accustomed to writing into the word limit. As a writer who favors exposition, a 1,000-word limit is terrifying - but I am getting better!

My favorite image I have used so far this semester is the GIF of Anansi in spider form I used in my re-telling of "The Secret Name of Ra." I chose this image, or GIF specifically, because of the aspect of movement. Anansi's legs move and creep and I think it gives the reader a sense of the spider crawling over Ra's face.
Anansi-05282017
(Anansi in Spider form from American Gods GIF made with giphy.com)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Best-Selling Author

Hello, everyone, I am Erika and I am terrible at blogging! Just kidding, I am slowly getting the hang of it. I am an English Writing major who has been at OU forever (I am ancient compared to some of you). I only have 3 semesters left after this one (Fall '17)! I am getting a minor in anthropology, the combination of the two makes this class the perfect fit. The best class that I took last semester was called Day of the Living Dead and it was a class that studied zombies as they appear in literature, being an English major is awesome! My biggest accomplishment last semester was making through Logic with my sanity - it was a philosophy class that counted as a math credit - honestly, I would've been better off with "real" math, let's just say that studying logic is not for me. Most of my summer was spent toiling away at Lowe's but my friends and I took our annual float trip (to float the Illinois River) at the end of July, it was a great way to end the summer. T

Comment Wall

(Ancient Architecture Stock Photo provided by Pexels )

Week 4 Story: The Rabbi's Automaton

(Clockwork Girl & Boy by Milo ) “They call me a magician,” he grumbled to himself as he stared down into the Jewish ghetto below. Beyond the ghetto stood the towering heights of the city-proper. He sat in his leather chair in his dimly lit study twirling the end of his bushy mustache around the tip of his finger.  The Sabbath was approaching and he had no one to assist him. The people feared him - so much that none would work for him.   They were afraid not because he was an evil man but because he was a learned man, a man of science. Drawings of fantastical flying machines on yellowed parchment littered his desk. The people feared Rabbi Lion and his experiments. His genius was not yet understood. Bright flashes of light sometimes shone from his windows. The lay people attributed these flashes of light to demons so none were willing to enter his service.   “Pfft, if I were able to wield magic why would I not just command someone to serve me,” he thought. “I shall make