Skip to main content

Reading Notes Week 11: Myths & Legends of the Great Plains, Part B, "The Indian Who Wrestled with a Ghost"

Image result for owl at night
(Owl at Night from Random Thoughts)
  • "The Indian Who Wrestled a Ghost" - Teton Story
    • I actually read this story at the beginning of the semester and wrote my first story about it. But I was having trouble staying under 1,000 words so it was not added to the blog stream for people to read and comment.
    • this story tells of a young man who goes on the warpath alone
    • he walks for a long while until he comes to a clearing in the woods
      • he hears an owl calling
      • in a lot of Native traditions owls are seen as omens of death
      • foreshadowing
    • he makes camp in the clearing and at midnight he is disturbed by the wailing of a woman crying "my son! my son!"
      • the man covers himself with his blanket and plays dead as the woman approaches
      • the woman lifts his leg and he lets it fall as if he were dead
      • the woman pulls out a rusty knife to cut off his foot 
      • he jumps up and scares the woman away
      • when he gets up in the morning he notices a burial scaffold in the clearing and wonders if it belongs to the ghost-woman he encountered in the night
    • he travels more and again comes to a clearing to make camp
      • he makes camp and builds a fire
      • he sits down to smoke his pipe and eat some wasna (buffalo meat mixed with fat and wild cherries - this type of mixture is sometimes called pemmican) 
      • he begins to hear singing
      • the singer came to the young man and asked for some food
      • the man lied and said he had none
        • the singer tells him he is lying so the man gives him some 
        • fills his pipe
      • the ghost smoked from the pipe and the man notices he has no flesh
        • just skeleton
      • when the skeleton finished smoking he tells the man that they should wrestle
        • if the man bests the skeleton he shall kill his enemies and steal some horses
        • the man agrees to wrestle
      • they wrestle for a long time
        • the skeleton weakens when it is near the fire and grows strong in the darkeness
        • when the man began to get weary the sun rose
        • he pushed more brush into the fire so it blazed
        • the skeleton began to fall apart
      • the young man won the wrestling match and so stole some horses and killed his enemies
      • it ends by saying this is why you should always listen to a ghost
  • Storytelling notes: I want to combine this story with the ghost stories I read in Part A of this unit and make a completely new story using elements of ghost lore from multiple tribes. 
  • Bibliography: Myths and Legends of the Great Plains by Katharine Berry Judson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Best-Selling Author

Hello, everyone, I am Erika and I am terrible at blogging! Just kidding, I am slowly getting the hang of it. I am an English Writing major who has been at OU forever (I am ancient compared to some of you). I only have 3 semesters left after this one (Fall '17)! I am getting a minor in anthropology, the combination of the two makes this class the perfect fit. The best class that I took last semester was called Day of the Living Dead and it was a class that studied zombies as they appear in literature, being an English major is awesome! My biggest accomplishment last semester was making through Logic with my sanity - it was a philosophy class that counted as a math credit - honestly, I would've been better off with "real" math, let's just say that studying logic is not for me. Most of my summer was spent toiling away at Lowe's but my friends and I took our annual float trip (to float the Illinois River) at the end of July, it was a great way to end the summer. T

Comment Wall

(Ancient Architecture Stock Photo provided by Pexels )

Week 4 Story: The Rabbi's Automaton

(Clockwork Girl & Boy by Milo ) “They call me a magician,” he grumbled to himself as he stared down into the Jewish ghetto below. Beyond the ghetto stood the towering heights of the city-proper. He sat in his leather chair in his dimly lit study twirling the end of his bushy mustache around the tip of his finger.  The Sabbath was approaching and he had no one to assist him. The people feared him - so much that none would work for him.   They were afraid not because he was an evil man but because he was a learned man, a man of science. Drawings of fantastical flying machines on yellowed parchment littered his desk. The people feared Rabbi Lion and his experiments. His genius was not yet understood. Bright flashes of light sometimes shone from his windows. The lay people attributed these flashes of light to demons so none were willing to enter his service.   “Pfft, if I were able to wield magic why would I not just command someone to serve me,” he thought. “I shall make