Skip to main content

Reading Notes Week 13: Celtic Fairy Tales, Part A





(Connla the Fiery Hair from Tooele Transcript Bulletin)



  • "Connla and the Fairy Maiden"
    • Connla the Fiery Hair
    • son of Conn of the Hundred Fights
    • meets a maiden only he can see who professes her love for him and asks him to go away with her
      • plains of the ever living
        • no death, no aging, everyone is happy
    • hillfolk
    • the king and others can hear the maiden but cannot see her
    • Conn calls his druid Coran to cast spells so that the maiden cannot take his son
      • maiden disappears but throws an apple to Connla before she goes 
    • after meeting the maiden Connla will not eat or drink anything but the apple
      • regenerates everytime he eats it
      • also will not speak when spoken to
      • overwhelmed with longing for the maiden
    • a month later the maiden visits Connla again on the plain of arcomin
      • Conn asks Connla if he wants to go
        • says he is caught up with longing for the maiden.
    • eventually, Conn agrees and Connla and the fairy maiden cross the sea in her curragh or crystal canoe.
Image result for field of boliauns

(Tom Fitzpatrick and the Leprechaun by Sarah McCormick)



  • "The Field of Boliauns"
    • I don't actually know what a boliaun is but Google seems to think it is some sort of flower
      • other sources translate it as ragweed
    • Story of Tom Fitzpatrick and his run-in with a leprechaun 
      • meets a leprechaun working on a shoe
      • "little wee teeny tiny bit of an old man"
    • Tom talks to the leprechaun and asks why he is working on holiday
      • leprechaun basically tells him to mind his own business
    • has a pitcher of beer he claims he made out of heath 
      • Tom asks for a taste and the leprechaun basically tells him to go away and worry about his farm work
    • Tom almost leaves
      • but instead, siezes the little man and demands for him to show him where his money is or he will kill him
      • Leprechaun is fearful so he agrees
      • leads Tom to a field full of Boliauns
        • points to a specific Boliaun and tells Tom to dig under it and he will find gold
    • Tom doesn't have a shovel so he ties a red garter around the Boliaun and threatens the leprechaun if he removes it while he is gone
    • when Tom returns all of the Boliauns have red garters
      • the leprechaun tricked him
  • Storytelling Ideas: I liked both of these stories because of the appearance of the fair folk. I may combine these stories or others like "The Horned Women" - with the 12 horned witches, or "The Shepard of Myddvai" - with the women that come out of the lake. I just really like Celtic fair folk tales and want to use as many of these creatures and magical people as I can in my stories.
  • Bibliography:  Celtic Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1892).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Best-Selling Author

Hello, everyone, I am Erika and I am terrible at blogging! Just kidding, I am slowly getting the hang of it. I am an English Writing major who has been at OU forever (I am ancient compared to some of you). I only have 3 semesters left after this one (Fall '17)! I am getting a minor in anthropology, the combination of the two makes this class the perfect fit. The best class that I took last semester was called Day of the Living Dead and it was a class that studied zombies as they appear in literature, being an English major is awesome! My biggest accomplishment last semester was making through Logic with my sanity - it was a philosophy class that counted as a math credit - honestly, I would've been better off with "real" math, let's just say that studying logic is not for me. Most of my summer was spent toiling away at Lowe's but my friends and I took our annual float trip (to float the Illinois River) at the end of July, it was a great way to end the summer. T

Comment Wall

(Ancient Architecture Stock Photo provided by Pexels )

Week 4 Story: The Rabbi's Automaton

(Clockwork Girl & Boy by Milo ) “They call me a magician,” he grumbled to himself as he stared down into the Jewish ghetto below. Beyond the ghetto stood the towering heights of the city-proper. He sat in his leather chair in his dimly lit study twirling the end of his bushy mustache around the tip of his finger.  The Sabbath was approaching and he had no one to assist him. The people feared him - so much that none would work for him.   They were afraid not because he was an evil man but because he was a learned man, a man of science. Drawings of fantastical flying machines on yellowed parchment littered his desk. The people feared Rabbi Lion and his experiments. His genius was not yet understood. Bright flashes of light sometimes shone from his windows. The lay people attributed these flashes of light to demons so none were willing to enter his service.   “Pfft, if I were able to wield magic why would I not just command someone to serve me,” he thought. “I shall make